The Niagara Falls is Canada’s most famous visitor attraction. However, that’s not all there is to see in this beautiful country. Toronto’s CN Tower, the old Quebec town, the Whistler ski village and the Gros Morne National Park are some of the other sights worth seeing in Canada. If you’re lucky, you may even catch a glimpse of a polar bear while you are here.
To visit Canada as a visitor, all you need is a temporary Canada visitor visa. Citizens of some countries can even visit Canada without a visa. Canada is considered a safe country for solo travelers as well as families.
- Capital: Ottawa
- Total Area: 9,984,670 km2
- Time difference: GMT -4, -5, -6, -7
- Location: Northern Section of North America
- Calling Code: +1
- Population: 35,151,728 (2017)
- Religions: 67.2% Christianity, 23.9% Non-religious, 3.2% Islam, 1.5% Hinduism, 4.1% Other.
- Languages: English, French;
- Currency: Canadian Dollar (CAD);
- Exchange rate: 0.77 CAD = 1 USD (2018)
- Government Type: Parliamentary democracy, a federation, and a constitutional monarchy;
- Industries: Energy, Agriculture, Manufacturing and Automotive
Canada Visitor Visa Qualifications
Canada welcomes visitors from all countries. This visa allows an individual to stay in the country for a maximum of 6 months. Visa holders can travel across Canada with this visa and enjoy all the sights Canada has to offer but cannot work with this visa. There are two types of Canadian visitor visas: single entry visas and multiple entry visas. Individuals transiting through Canada can also apply for a transit visa. This allows the individual to stay in Canada for up to 48 hours. To be eligible for any of these visas the applicant must meet the below conditions.
- Must have a valid passport
- Must have enough financial means to pay for one’s stay and travel in Canada
- Must have good health. Applicant may need to undergo a health exam.
- Must have a house, family, work etc. in one’s country to ensure their return from Canada
- Must have no intention of seeking employment while in Canada on a visitor visa
- Must have no criminal record
Steps and Timeline
A Canadian visitor visa does not take long to process but it should ideally be applied for at least a month prior to your travel dates.
Complete the Application – The application form is available online. The application must be filled in honestly and completely. Incomplete forms are not accepted. Each dependent over the age of 18 years will need to fill a separate application form.
Pay Processing Fees – Processing fees can be paid via check or bank draft.
Visit Canadian Visa Office –the completed application, passport, photographs and all supporting documents must be submitted. A tracking number will be given to the applicant.
Track your Application – a visa application can take a few weeks to be processed. Applicants may use the unique tracking number to track the process of this application. Once approved, the visa will be stamped on your passport and returned to the applicant.
Processing fees for Canadian visitor visas are nonrefundable. This must be paid directly to the Embassy. The fees payable are:
- Single/ Multiple Entry Visa for 1 person: CAN $100
- Single/ Multiple Entry Visa for a family of 5 or more persons: CAN $500